Windows API functions and \0 termination in UNICODE_STRING's

Process Hacker development discussion
keremg
Plugin Developer

Windows API functions and \0 termination in UNICODE_STRING's

Unread postby keremg » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 am

Hi,

well, this is more a help for others than a question. I was reading the command line from a process running on my system and i was wondering why the command line memory read from the processes UNICODE_STRING "CommandLine" member on the RTL_USER_PROCESS_PARAMETERS in the PEB-Structure (if you look at the raw memory in your debugger) is perfectly ok, but somtimes when working with it and windows APIs expecting zero terminated string, the expected result is incomplete once passed to several APIs. I was wondering what the reason was for this and i dumped all the bytes into a binary file i read from the affected process and had a closer look at it with a hex editor and then there wwas the "AHA" :shock: reaction. The "Buffer" member of the UNICODE_STRING was pointing to a "mixed" string, with a "\0" right in the middle of the buffer. So if you pass the function to a windows API function expecting a zero terminated string as the final marker of the string, the function will handle the string until it reaches the "\0" and then return the result. This is bad for sure. One way to bypass this e.g. is to walk the buffer and replace all the "\0" in the buffer with some user defined value e.g. a space character or whatever you like and then append a "\0" at the end of the buffer. So you will have a perfectly valid string for most of the windows api functions. I attached a picture of the issue to this thread.

K.
Attachments
ZeroIssue.jpg

MaJ
New User

Re: Windows API functions and \0 termination in UNICODE_STRI

Unread postby MaJ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:32 am

Keep in mind this is exposed to the program (via the main function) as a char *argv[]. In order to access any given an argument by index, it has to be null terminated. I've never had to query for this information outside a debugger, but if I were a guessing man, I'd say you are looking at argv's elements allocated in a contiguous block.

wj32
Founder

Re: Windows API functions and \0 termination in UNICODE_STRI

Unread postby wj32 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm

That's completely unrelated, unless some obscure function in Win32 adds these null characters. The argv elements are created by splitting the UNICODE_STRING contents using space as a separator (and taking quote characters into consideration).

Return to “Source code”